Saturday, July 26, 2008

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Little Miss Sunshine follows the young girl Olive Hoover, who dreams of winning the beauty pageant titled, you guessed it, The Little Miss Sunshine Pageant. The whole Hoover family treks west to California so that Olive's dreams can come true. After that, craziness, hilarity, and drama ensue.

Little Miss Sunshine is the perfect blend of hilarity and drama. We see a family separated at the beginning of the film and the lengths they go to for Olive bring them closer together. We see moments of comic genius and then we're suddenly hit with a scene of tragedy and drama. There's an absolutely hilarious dance routine in the beauty pageant, but we also get a tear jerking moment at the expense of Paul Dano's character. This works incredibly well and makes this an absolute winner of a film.

The performances are absolutely spectacular, which is ideal for a character driven movie. Alan Arkin is absolutely fantastic as Grandpa and he provides most of the best humor in the film. Steve Carell shows what he can truly do in this film and his performance completely took me by surprise. Abagail Breslin is also delightful as Olive. At first, I was reluctant to watch this and I honestly don't know why that is. I just didn't feel like watching this movie, but I am very glad that I did. It is fun to watch and it is most definitely a feel good film. I think that you can now tell that I am an absolute sucker for character driven films and for feel good films. Obviously, I absolutely loved this film.

Overall, pure joy and fun to watch. It absolutely deserved the Best Picture of the Year nomination it received.

9/10

No comments: